Many people are unaware of how their personal information is collected, used and shared in our always-online digital society. Data Privacy Day, held annually in the U.S. and Europe on Jan. 28, is dedicated to creating awareness about the importance of privacy and protecting your personal information.
As part of Data Privacy Day, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE) is teaming with hundreds of other businesses to promote awareness, inspire dialogue and empower individuals to take steps in protecting their privacy. The National Cybersecurity Alliance provides a few ways that you, too, can own your online presence and get involved with Data Privacy Day:
Talk with your family and friends about ways to stay safe online.
- Personal information is like money. Value it. Protect it. Learn about and understand how your personal information is collected through apps and websites.
- Share with care. Think before posting about yourself and others online. Consider what a post reveals, who might see it and how it could be perceived now and in the future.
- Stay positively engaged. Parents, pay attention to the online environments your children use. Help them identify safe and trusted websites and apps. Encourage them to be cautious about clicking, downloading, posting and uploading content.
Consider taking the following actions to create a privacy-aware culture at your workplace.
- Employers, help all employees understand the role they play in making sure privacy is achieved and maintained, like respecting and protecting the personal information of colleagues and customers. Data Privacy Day 2019 resources are available from the National Cybersecurity Alliance.
- Employees, always follow your employer’s privacy policies and expectations. Be open and honest about how you collect, use and share personal information as part of your job.
Privacy at BCBSNE
We’re committed to protecting our members’ privacy. Details about our privacy practices are available at nebraskablue.com/resources/your-privacy. Our privacy practices document describes how we use personal information and it outlines the rights our members have regarding their information.